These little verrines, created by blogger and author Cynthia Marcotte, are perfect for an elegant, tasteful picnic. Plus, the recipe includes a rather unexpected ingredient that makes it a vegan dessert...and simply delicious!
• 1 block (454 g) medium or extra firm tofu (Sunrise brand)
• 10 mL (2 tsp.) vanilla extract
• 30 mL (2 tbsp.) maple syrup
• 125 mL (½ cup) Allo Simonne Dark Chocolate & Coffee Hazelnut Spread
• 60 mL (1/4 cup) espresso coffee
• 30 mL (2 tbsp) coffee liqueur or rum *optional, can be replaced by more espresso
• About 16 coffee cookies (for a vegan version, I used Lotus Speculoos)
• Unsweetened cocoa powder, to taste
1. In a blender, puree tofu with vanilla extract, maple syrup and 60 mL (¼ cup) Dark Chocolate & Coffee Hazelnut Spread into a smooth purée.
2. In a second small bowl, combine espresso and rum.
3. In the bottom of each of the 6 verrines, make the first layer of cookies dipped in coffee.
4. Add a layer of chocolate mousse and a layer of hazelnut spread on top of each cookie layer. Repeat steps 4 and 5 a second time.
5. If desired, decorate verrines with a thin layer of cocoa and coffee beans.
6. Let stand for a minimum of 4 hours in the refrigerator before enjoying!
Product we use in this recipe